Written by Nailah Aljasmi | 7th October 2019
What does “organic” mean?
The term “organic” refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed. While the regulations vary from country to country, in the U.S., organic crops must be grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers.
Organic livestock raised for meat, eggs, and dairy products must have access to the outdoors and be given organic feed. They may not be given antibiotics, growth hormones, or any animal by-products. (1.)
9 Health Benefits of Eating Organic Food
Choosing to make smarter choices in your daily eating habits can have a significant positive impact on your health. One healthy habit that offers these benefits in abundance is switching to an organic diet. Organic foods are grown in the most natural way possible and without chemicals, additives, pesticides or harmful toxic chemicals. (2.)
- Better Health
- Because organic food is not produced or processed using chemical pesticides or chemical fertilizers, it does not contain any elements of toxic chemicals and may not affect human health in harmful ways. (3.)
2. Antioxidant content
- The positive effects of antioxidants on overall health have been established in several scientific studies, especially those derived from organic foods. This is because organic foods are free of foreign chemicals that normally react with vitamins, organic compounds and minerals thus lowering the essential positive impacts of antioxidants in food products. (4.)
3. Improved Heart condition
- Exclusive grazing on natural grass increases the amounts of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) found in animal products. The suns energy is well taken in by natural grass through photosynthesis and is converted into the most desirable organic CLA by the herbivores that feed on it. CLA is a heart-healthy fatty acid with the potential of bolstering cardiovascular protection, and it is found in higher quantities in the meat and milk products of animals that have been pastured in free-range. (4.)
4. Antibiotic resistance
- When humans consume the non-organic food products, they indirectly consume the antibiotics, growth hormones and vaccines which weaken immune systems on the account of antibiotic, vaccine, hormones, and animal byproducts overdose. This may alter the immune system thereby rendering humans unable to defend themselves against diseases. (4.)
5. Nicer taste
- Apart from nutrition, the mineral and sugar structures in organic foods are tasty because the crops are given more time to develop and mature. The use of natural and environmentally friendly agricultural production techniques is revealed to be the reason for the better taste in organic food products. It is commonly reported that the taste of organic vegetables and fruits are of higher quality compared to those that are conventionally grown.
6. Pesticide cutback
- Chemical pesticides consumption is linked to a variety of diseases and disorders namely cancers, digestive dysfunctions, headaches, ADHD, birth defects, weakened the immune system, and even premature death. Organic foods are free of pesticides and that is why they are preferable for attaining better overall health. As much as pesticides have the power of keeping certain pests away from the crops, they also have potent chemicals like organophosphorus.
- These chemicals are unnatural, and they are the mineral compounds that bring about several health abnormalities in humans. Organophosphorus, for instance, is associated with various developmental disorders such as ADHD and autism. Organic food products, therefore, offer a better healthy living, especially for children who are potentially affected by the pesticide toxins during their developmental ages.
7. Stronger immune system
- The traditional or industrial farming practices (48.) aim at enhancing production and farm output necessary. For example, the notion of producing more cereals, more meat and bigger fruits through genetic modifications and use of growth hormones seems to solve some of the world’s food insecurity concerns. The effects are not yet visible, but in the long-term, the consequences are sensitivity to allergens and a major reduction in immune system strength.
- By eating organic foods, the risks of decline in immune system strength are significantly reduced (50.) because organic foods are not altered at all. Furthermore, organic foods have quality and higher vitamin and mineral contents that help to strengthen the human immune system. (51.)
8. Organic foods are not genetically modified
- Organic foods are GMO-free, that is, they are not genetically engineered in nature. Genetic engineering of food products is a huge concern in the current era. They are foods or plants with altered DNA in manners that do not take place in nature, usually to enhance resistance to pesticides/herbicides. While there is a lack of conclusive evidence of its dangers, food safety advocates are concerned that long-term research has not been conducted to confirm their safety.
- The food safety advocates believe GMOs are a leading cause of slowed brain growth, internal organ damage, gastrointestinal disorders, and the thickening of the digestive tract. Thus, the health benefit of consuming organic food is that they are free of GMOs, a very common component in non-organic foods. (4.)
10. Environmental safety
- Organic foods are locally grown and pose very minimal interference to the environmental resources that support healthy living. Since harmful chemicals are forbidden in organic farming, there is minimum water, air, and soil pollution, therefore, ensuring a healthier and safer environment. To be precise, organic farming lessens the long-term human health implications caused by air, water, and soil pollution. (4.)
“Ninety per cent of the diseases known to man are caused by cheap foodstuffs. You are what you eat.”Victor Lindlahr , 1942
3 Places to Order Organic Food Online the UAE
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Nailah nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.
#health #organicfood #fooddelivery #benefitsoforganicfood #blog #wellness